What We Do
Pretty Deadly Self Defense is for women of every age, every body type, every skill level. Based on real-life situations, realistic settings, and in the clothes women actually wear, we are focused on the basics of natural body movement, intuition and strategy, building simple exercises and effective techniques that anyone can do.
At Pretty Deadly, we strongly believe in your natural ability. Self defense isn’t just about fighting back – it’s about knowing your boundaries, trusting yourself, your own capabilities, bringing your power into the open and never having to hide who you are.
Pretty Deadly provides self defense training that addresses the specific fears and doubts faced by all those who identify as women:
- Wonder Woman (Level 1): Foundation self defense class, teaching basic moves and focusing on awareness, balance, and natural movement. Techniques are designed for the most common forms of attack against women, and highlights building confidence, stopping a violation already begun, and escape. Forms include basic strikes, blocks and take-downs.
- Xena, Warrior Princess (Level 2): Tailored for the dangers of daily life in public environments: on the subway, on the street, in the nightclub. Techniques are applied as one-to-one defense, focusing on awareness, prevention and application. Must complete Level I to register.
- Princess Leia (Level 3): Level 3 brings self defense to intimate settings: in the home, on a date, and date rape. This stage also hones strategy and danger assessment. Techniques are applied as intimate defense and incorporate common tools. The focus is on heightened awareness and utility. Must complete Level 2 to register.
- Courses for Seniors and Girls follow a similar progression, with techniques and exercises tailored for each specific age group.
- Practical Self Defense Workshops are monthly 4-hour intensive workshops that deconstruct real-life scenarios and aggressions as shared with us from real women in Berlin. We start from first awareness prevention and progress all the way to point of contact, teaching you simple but effective defense techniques. We focus on awareness, prevention, and strategy, and we work with every body type and ability to help keep you feeling strong, confident and safe.
- Pretty Deadly At Work offers mixed gender courses, workshops and seminars for workplace safety, from office harassment to business travel, incorporating situational awareness, strategic thinking and vocal confidence tools that can also be applied to negotiations, networking and presentations.
LGBTQ-friendly. Refugees welcome.
We believe that everyone has a right to exist and occupy their own personal space.
Everyone has a right to agency over their own body.
The Pretty Deadly program’s mission is to empower, not through teaching participants how to take down a 6-foot man (although we do that too!), but by finding the power they already have inside themselves. Pretty Deadly uses everyday examples and teaches individuals to recognize where they already practice self defense in their day to day lives.
Through simple, natural exercises that you already do, Pretty Deadly brings out the power you already have and teaches you how to use it, without losing your individuality or your humour! You can be deadly and still be pretty!
Have fun. Make friends. Kick ass.
Pretty Deadly Self Defense has been helping all who identify as women grow stronger together since 2009. In March 2016, we opened our first Berlin classes, and have been working with Give Something Back to Berlin since September 2016, offering self defense classes focused on conflict management, de-escalation and integration to Berlin’s refugee communities and the volunteers who work with them. For more information or to schedule a workshop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.